Monday, December 13, 2010

Ensley, Alabama

“This week has been a long, but good one. As you know, it was transfer week.  It was rough at first. I now understand what missionaries mean when they say "you get transferred or sent home right as you begin to get comfortable."  I finally started to get comfortable in Homewood, but right as I did, they sent me out.”

“I was so scared to find out where I was going. They have this new way of doing transfers. They call you a few days before transfers and tell you if you’re getting transferred or not. If you are, they tell you to go to "Base" (the church in Hoover. It’s the church closest to the president).  It’s there they tell you where your going and who you will be serving with.  So it’s very scary ha-ha”

“I am now serving in Ensley, Alabama. Ensley is just south of Birmingham and is a WAY super poor area. I am serving with Elder Chugg. I am very happy with where I am serving and I am very happy with who I am serving with :) Elder Chugg is a stud! He has been out for about a year and half. He is from Morgan Utah. He is a super funny guy and a way awesome missionary!  I’ve only been here for about four days and already we have been working way hard!  We have been tracking like crazy!  We Have a baptism date set with a guy we tracked into. We had a way sweet first lesson with him and we asked if he found these things to be true if he would be baptized on January 1st. And he said he would :) His name is Kortez Brown. So if you could keep him in your prayers that would be way awesome!”

“Serving here is awesome! It’s kind of scary though.  Like I said it’s a super poor area. Remember how I said that there are some parts of Birmingham that are called the "Hood". Well that’s all Ensley is.  I’ve already heard gun shots. On every street here, there are at least 3 to 5 abandoned houses. It’s very sad to see how some of the people live. At first I thought I wouldn’t like this area because of all those things... but as soon as I got here, I knew for a fact that this is where I need to be. The amazing part about serving in an area like this is the light you bring into it. Because it’s already a very dark and scary place... But as ministers of Jesus Christ you’re bringing Love, Light, and Hope to that area. There isn’t a better feeling in the world. I love it more than my last area. It truly is a blessing to be here. And I have no desire to be any where else. I love it here!


 Ensley Alabama Branch
President Sanders, Nick and his father, Jeffery Prewitt up front
(Mason - Back Row)




Elders Chugg, Taylor, Rappleye, Baldwin, Chelson, and Dunn (our missionaries in Ensley) are working hard to help strengthen the Church in this part of the vineyard.



Elder Chugg (Mason's new companion), Brother Briggins, Nick Prewitt, and Elder Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment